Is it time for a ministry check up? The headlines of today remind us that these are tough times, and certainly nonprofits are feeling it up-close and personal. However, even the toughest of times is a good time for a self-assessment on how we are doing to meet our mission. In particular, when looking for new donors or foundation funding opportunities we need to make sure we are at a place that we are ‘ready to receive.’
Your assessment checklist should include the following:
- Our 501(c)(3) status is complete and in good standing.
- Our Mission and Vision are clear, and all team members (including board) can articulate.
- We have a focused plan and functioning program(s).
- We have clear measurable outcomes – we understand the ‘win.’
- The people closest to our organization give to the ministry.
- We love to collaborate!
- We have an attitude of gratitude when it comes to our supporters and we express it.